If you are planning to seek the services of an attorney, here are five critical elements to consider:
- Be clear the attorney is competent in the area in which you need assistance. Law, like medicine, is specialized. Best to seek out the assistance of a specialist in what your needs are; it will be less expensive in the long run and the work product will be better.
- Make sure both you and your attorney are clear as to what your objectives are and what is achievable. If your attorney understands what you are trying to get accomplished, he or she will be better able to advise you as to what can reasonably be achieved, and what might be more problematic.
- Discuss, agree and have in writing the fee arrangement with your attorney. There is no reason why either of you should ever be surprised about the billing once it starts. The time to have that conversation is up front.
- Discuss and come to terms on how you and your attorney will communicate. One of the major points of discontent between a client and an attorney is a lack of ongoing communication on the part of the attorney. Best to have that conversation about your expectations up front.
- Check with the Bar Association to confirm whether there are any disciplinary proceedings against your attorney. If there were, it doesn’t mean to stay away from a particular attorney if the above conditions are met, but knowing if there are prior client complaints will help you make a more informed decision.
Feel free to contact PinoNicholson PLLC today at 407-425-7831 to learn more.